Greetings!

Welcome to my blog, 'A Lifetime with pets', which is about exactly that. My four children are all finally reaching the stage in life where they think about spreading their wings, and that has given me some time to reflect back upon the amazing journey that we have come through as a family and I came to the realization that many of our most important stepping stones included some extra family members- our pets.

This blog is intended to be a friendly place where we can all share the stories of our beloved pets and how they have influenced each of us. Follow along as I recount various milestones or tremendous moments that have occurred during the raising of my family, and how our pets were involved in each of them.

It is my firm belief that having so many pets around during the influential part of their childhood has had a tremendous positive development on each of my children. I hope to encourage you with our experiences. Feel free to comment and send me your own stories.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The first post!

Hi All!

This is my first post on my first blog, so please bear with me as I get into the flow of things.

 As my blog description notes, I am writing this blog to share with you the funny stories and the stepping stones that our pets have helped my entire family mark as accomplishments. I am happily married to my husband of twenty-six years, and we have four nearly grown children. I say nearly grown, because I really do not think that our children ever truly grow up- and just when you think you are about to send them all on their own paths suddenly they come running back.

 Over the years we have owned so many different pets that I can definitely not keep count, from hamsters and other small rodents, to our favored cats and dogs, even to goats and horses. And as I fondly reflect upon the journey that our family has taken to reach this stage in our life, with my youngest son now graduated and about to enter the real world (hopefully feet first), I was amazed at how much our pets were involved in the growth of our family. I took up writing this blog just to share some of those amazing stories, funny anecdotes, and hard earned lessons with you. I hope you can enjoy following along as we travel down memory lane, and perhaps you can learn something about keeping your pets close to you and how to keep them around even longer.

 While our family pet collection grows and wanes seemingly every week, we have some members of the family that are long term allies, and I would like to take just to briefly introduce the primary cast.

Currently our household has Mickey Bear, a toy Pomeranian that is entirely too much lovable trouble for his own good. Alice, our calico cat that has blossomed from a young and anxious kitten to the Empress of all that she surveys. Koda, my daughters overly excitable cocker spaniel, and of all things- a snake.

Again, I wish to say welcome and thanks for sharing the laughter of 'A Lifetime with pets' with my family and I, I hope to hear from you and get to share in your own stories of laughter, great memories, and accomplishing milestones.

- Kim Estes

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim!

    Thanks for writing this blog, I know starting new things is scary, but I am interested in seeing how you follow through and show that pets are important to raising kids.

    ReplyDelete